I just watched this movie last night. It was pretty decent. Although, it wasn't so much of a "found footage" movie, like I thought it was going to be. I was thinking it was going to be in the realm of "Cloverfield," with radioactive mutants that were nothing like what we've seen before. It ended up being more like a zombie movie.
I remember when the Chernobyl disaster happened back in 1986, when an explosion leaked radioactive particles in the air. And while watching this movie, I kept thinking about this joke by Jimmy Carr: "It's been 25 years since Chernobyl; does it bother anyone that there are no superheroes yet?" Another quirky thing that I wondered about was that the tourists, when they got out of the van, looked around. At least one building had a striking, intact, mural of Vladimir Lenin, and then there was an abandoned amusment park. I couldn't figure out why they clammered to get a picture taken in front of the broken down ferris wheel, and not the big mural.
But, all in all, if you want startling scares, it's an good one. My problem is that they didn't show much of the enemies. Maybe a brief glimpse. They left too much to the imagination. If I wanted that I'd read a novel of it. The reason we watch movies is to see the director's imagination. It's like "Let me see what crawled out of the dark side of your mind. Don't hint at it!" That's kind of my problem with a lot of modern horror movies. They're supposed to get in your face with the scary things, not drop clues and give us glimpses that more often confuse us than scare us.
No comments:
Post a Comment