Friday, October 12, 2018

Wubba-lubba-dub-dub!

     What do you get if you combine the dimensional travel of Sliders, the weird science of Dr. Who, and the flippant sci-fi humor of Futurama? You get the infamous Rick And Morty.
     My girlfriend's son introduced me to this. But being 14 (13 at the time), he's too young for it. It's crazy and so crass, one of the more famous guest stars is a chorizo-headed dwarf named Mr. Poopybutthole. Yes, I said it. Ooh-whee, I said it.
     I like how the parents, Jerry and Beth, don't have the best relationship, but they are willing to stick it out. It's realistic. The kids, Morty and Summer, fight. Rick, while entertaining, is in no way a role-model, but his antics are entertaining.
     I also like how they take real scientific concepts and futurists' conjectures and use them as plot-devices. Parallel universes, 4th level Kardashev technology, electronic consciousness transfer, etc.
     So far, they've only made three seasons, but are signed on with Adult Swim for more. They go on a long hiatus between seasons, though. In the words of our chorizo-headed dwarf, "Maybe when you see me again, I might have a great big long Santa Claus beard, ooh-whee!" Let's hope that isn't true.

No comments:

Post a Comment